Monday 13 March 2023

....Indian Pacific Wheel Ride ....IPWR 2023

What is it? 
An endurance ride from Fremantle, Western Australia to the steps of the Sydney Opera House 5471km, unsupported. 

Why?
The Challenge...I've done it before...just after completing my 50th lap of the Sun 🌞....& as I approach my 60th time around....let's do it again. 

The Cause..

Legacy....

I've had 2 Great Uncles serve in the Great War...one dying of wounds 6 weeks before The Armistice.... such a waste 😢. The other going on to serve in WWII, surviving, but ultimately passing away on my 11th birthday. 
My Grandmother (Mim) was president of our local Torchbearers for Legacy all through my childhood, and I was often "drafted" as a helping hand through many fund-raising events. Even serving as a page boy for the Debutante Balls that Legacy used to run. 

On getting to high school and studying modern history, Mimi showed me quite a bit of the family history & tales of the War years. This "made the penny drop" 💡. I then realised what Legacy was all about. 
I wanted to do my service when I left school. 

But...

Having tried unsuccessfully TWICE to join the RAAF, life went on.....

In 2014 I completed the first crossing of Australia by anybody riding a Velomobile....& as an aside to that,  I "discretely" raised funds for Legacy..... my own way to "be of Service"

On to 2023... here we go again.... although this time in an official capacity....

Wish me luck 😎
Feel free to donate if you want....

https://challenge.legacy.com.au/page/MarkDoble

No comments:

Post a Comment