Sunday 16 April 2023

Day 29. Tour 4 Legacy

....it's 2.30am, and it's chucking down rain...I'm cozy and dry thanks to the BBQ shelter I'm ensconced under. I made sure that I would be in the driest spot available should such an eventuality occur... big thumbs up 👍🏻 

Hopefully it's over by sunrise....


4.40am....I'm woken by the rain on the tin roof again.... this had better be over soon, I don't want to waste another day waiting for the weather to clear. 

5.45am, the magpies are carolling, that could be a good sign 😀 
Sure enough, the skies are pretty clear...more blue clouds than grey ones 😎


Back into the morning routine....re-stuff sleeping, deflate pillow and mattress, re-sort and repack, 1st breakfast, refill water and we're out on the road again by 7.30am. 

It's Sunday morning, hopefully the traffic will be light...at least for a while. 

2nd breakfast is planned for the Morning Loaf Bakery in Keith...35km up the road. 

Bingo! I'm their first customer for the day, arriving smack on opening time. 


Coffee, pie, chocolate milk....and a Coke for later in the day, should I need a sugar fix 😋   

All the usual cycling fare to keep me going. 


Off to Bordertown, and closer to getting out of South Australia. 


Strangely, most of the driver behaviour hasn't been as bad as usual....dunno what's going on. I'm getting worried 😟 

Then it dawns on me, the local constabulary have a speed trap set up. Keeping everyone honest...

.....except for that orange velomobile again...SAPOL doing their civil duty and pulling me over because "a few carists complain that they can't see me because I don't have a flag!"

They damn well see me well enough, to pass me ok, but report me to the police because they can't see me....go figure 🤷‍♂️



Midday calls for a lunch break....there's a theme happening here.... another Morning Loaf Bakery.... Bordertown this time....they're becoming like the Golden Arches....one on every corner 🥧



It also looks like a "yuppie hangout" ...queues to the door... 


A sandwich and the old chocolate milk will suffice for lunch. 

Only a few more km's and I've made it to Victoria...."yay team"




Immediately the road surface improves markedly...the breakdown lane is a hell of a lot wider! Cleaner! ..and that suicidal ripple strip is gone! 

I might even cycle in it for a while....


Well! That didn't last long.... too much debris to swerve around, some large branches need to be properly removed....not just left where they've fallen. Large cracks require repair, the edges are broken away and large amounts of grass are growing through the asphalt. 

I must be back in South Australia! 

The traffic lane is smoother, I can maintain a comfortable speed and I'm much more predictable riding to the left of the lane,  rather than swinging all over the place trying avoid all the crap. 


Finally arriving at Kaniva, today's destination, only to find that the Windmill Cafe is closed due to staff illness. 

I did find a kindred spirit in part of the "sheep trail"....my orange mate!  🐑🐏


Camp time...

The newest spot In town...


It's going to be a cold night, with clear skies and no wind...

No comments:

Post a Comment