Monday 3 April 2023

IndiPac Day 16 and 17

Day 16
......Where else but to start the day with the original Nullarbor Roadhouse...now serving as a museum piece...


I waited for the roadhouse to open for breakfast & give the sun a bit of time to rise a bit higher over the horizon.... hopefully so road train drivers will have a better chance of seeing me on the road, as they're driving into the morning sun. 

It was around 7.45am local time when I got going. 5km out from the roadhouse, I came across a photographe getting a few shots of the Nullarbor Plain and surrounds. Stopped and chatted for a while, then went on my way. 

Soon came the turn-off for the "Head of the Bight" and the Whale watching vantage point 
..

I rode in on my last ride across Australia...it's a 24km return diversion... this time we're out of Whale watching season,so I wasn't really keen on going for a look this time. 

So, I'd better follow the correct road sign and head for Ceduna....


Just a few more km's further on and I reached the Eastern end of the Nullarbor Plain.... it's not particularly wide at this point,  but extends inland far a good 2000km!


Riding today has been ok so far,  the breeze is light from the north east,  so coming into the cockpit from the left-front. Nice and cool as there's been some pretty decent climbs again and the sweat is building up. 

It must be good going as it's 60km before I feel it's time for a break. Not bad at all. 

Lunch of porridge, rehydrated pasta, coffee and trail mix...along with 2000 March flies dammit!  Obviously I'm on their menu again! Damn things got in quite a few good bites this time too 😳 😕 and the bloody things decided that the sweaty cockpit of the Rotovelo is a good place to hang out 😡
They're pretty good at keeping pace with me as well.... up to almost 20kph before I managed to finally give them the slip 😎


The distance markers have been a constant sight every kilometre since I crossed into South Australia ...today I made it past No.250.
....

Slowly moving across the State..... one km at a time...

At last Yalata roadhouse rest area came into view...after a pretty good stretch of downhill riding. It's not open for business but there are fuel bowsers and a very large, near new covered shed with plenty of tables and seating...

This site was almost derelict when I rode through 9 years ago. It's good to see it looking better and hopefully it will reopen as a full service roadhouse again 👍

Finally after making the 100km for the day...the heat and the hills have taken their toll....time to camp, feed myself, rest up and see what tomorrow brings....


Day 17

The usual...pack up camp, porridge for breakfast and on the road by 7.30...
It didn't take too much time before I passed the 300km survey peg from the Western Australia border. 

The km's are accumulating rather well today. The tough undulating terrain is a bit flatter this morning...or I'm getting better at conserving momentum is helping me attack the next rise. 

The last 20km into Nundroo was a very good run, mostly flat-ish and the road surface was fairly new. I was able to hold a consistent speed of over 30kph! Impressive. 

It's a terrible shame that Nundroo roadhouse isn't better looked after...it is in need of some serious TLC 😕   
It is a wasted business opportunity that should be a pleasure to stop at... 

The bar is permanently closed & the accommodation is pretty poor. This place really needs a makeover. Even the coffee is just machine made. I won't mention the bathrooms .... the bush is more sanitary to do your business in 😵‍💫  

Passed these guys dressing up someone's driveway...brought a smile to my face ☺️ 

...and passed the 400km survey peg 


Not long to go, then Penong was only a few more km's further on.... a short sharp pinch to climb into town. 
Home tonight is the Penong Caravan Park. 



I'm the first cyclist to arrive this week apparently, the Manager says there's rain due in overnight so they offered me a covered campsite for the night, to save the hassle of packing away wet gear tomorrow morning 👍  


Very flash! and in a pretty quiet part of the site. I didn't bother putting the tent fly on the tent. It was a nice cool night with a pleasant breeze. I had a good sleep....and only a few drops of rain eventuated. 


That changed around 5.30am, with very light but persistent drizzle. 

7.30am had me packed, porridged and ready to roll the 72km stretch to Ceduna where I had pre booked a Motel for two nights and was going to have a full day's rest....my second day off the bike since Fremantle. 



No comments:

Post a Comment