Sunday 2 April 2023

IndiPac Day 14 and 15

IndiPac..days 14 and 15

Sunrise and time again to stow my goods and chatels back into the Jaffa and head out on the highway....again 

Just before I head off,  I'd better get the obligatory tourist photos....of the distance sign and the Whale...


It's just a few k's on and I'm finally leaving Western Australia and crossing the state border into South Australia....
Borders Village is this morning's breakfast stop. Coffee and toastie to put a bit of fuel into the system....


Another tourist photo of "Rooey" ...one of our many "BIG" things dotted around the country. 


Sorry mate, there's only room for one in the Jaffa....


Out on the road again...and I'm hoping to check out some of the ocean views... The Great Australian Bight Marine Park is one of them....



Not too bad 👍

 Nothing for it but to keep the pedals turning... km after km passing by pretty easy.... 
There are SO MANY 4wd's towing their mobile homes out here... they out number the road trains by a good 20 to 1.... they're everywhere! 

60km into the day,  time to stretch the legs. 


This spot will do..Nullarbor National Park. 
The wind has been blowing directly off the Southern Ocean....nice and cool, but some gusts are quite strong, 40+ km I reckon...giving me a bit of a side slide...nothing major, just a wiggle to the left-hand edge of the road.

It's actually starting to become annoying, especially at that magic time when the stars misalign,  and both an oncoming and passing road train are going to be in the exact same position 🙃 ..as me!
Bail off the road into the gravel...an experience on its own...at 20kmh!...gives a nice tailwheel skid in the loose stuff 😯  

After having this happen in what seems every 2km of travel, it's becoming demoralising 😪 
..and with the wind chill picking up,  my left shoulder and neck are getting somewhat sore 😫   ..

I think the best thing is to call it a day...it's not been fun this afternoon. 

As soon as I find a protected area out of the wind....that'll do.  102km done. 
🏕⛺️

Day 15.....

I'm camped about 20m off the highway amongst one of the few clumps of bushes big enough to hide the Jaffa from view, and with enough protection from the wind...

It's 3pm local time... early to finish the day,  but I've reached my limit on being blown around. It's made achieving a consistent speed pretty difficult. 

Tent is up, early dinner is on, and my bush shelter is taking the sting out of the wind. 
Dehydrated noodles, 2 servings, coffee and Nutella covered Scotch Finger biscuits for desert...life feels better 😋 

Early to bed and early to rise they say....

My plan is to make it to Nullarbor Roadhouse a further 100km up the highway.... the wind is a bit quieter this morning, so we'll see what happens. 

The wind has shifted to the North-east and is now blowing in from the left-front, speed can be somewhat maintained, thanks to aerodynamics, but it's those pesky gradients that are getting to me 😵‍💫. I only slow by a couple of K's but it's becoming very noticeable in the knees..... how far to the roadhouse? 

Can't be too far away....

Almost there.....

Bingo!...

The last two days have almost taken the fun out of riding... I hope there's a spare bed here somewhere...I  don't feel like riding on any further today. 😕  That last 200km was an effort to accomplish. 

Alas, no beds.... 


tent it is again tonight...if I don't get blown away....

damned wind.



Food fixes many a cyclist's problem...maybe I'm just hangry..😡


Burger and Beer, yep, that's gotta fix some sort of problem 👍




No comments:

Post a Comment